Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Cat Lady

Growing up, there was a cat lady who lived on our little island. She would drive around in her car with at least 10 cats in there with her!!! And when she wasn't in the car and you would run into her in the store or something she ALWAYS smelt like cat piss, and is was SO GROSS!!!! So I have always considered a 'cat lady' to be some kooky loon that runs around the place with a herd of cats and generally she is old or at least on the older side and alone. I think this is the most important factor in what makes a cat lady - the fact that she is alone. Some may consider me to be a 'cat lady', I however think of myself as part of a cat loving family. This is not because I run around like a mad woman with cats in my car, nor do I stink (at least I hope I don't), but because I have a lot of cats.
Before Kuna died, I had wanted one of my friends kittens because I knew how much Kuna would have loved to have another younger playmate. Our other 2 cats were slightly older than he was, and while the one was usually up for playing, this wasn't always the case. So I thought a new friend for him would be just the thing. But then he got sick and we had to put him down. I don't think I was really ready for a new cat, but I still had my hopes set on getting this kitten. I teased and joked about getting 2 based on the idea that kittens do better in two's, especially when having 2 older cats like we do. Then that way the new kittens would always have someone to play with. So when the kittens got here, I was so excited to see 'my kitten' (who has always been my kitten from the very beginning) and play with all the other kittens while they were here (my friend brought all of them with her and they stayed at my place while she was on the island visiting). Well wouldn't you know it, the one that I wasn't planning on keeping picked us and Bosley also picked her out as well (I think he thought she was Kuna at first) and both my husband and I were still smitten with the other one, so we HAD to keep both of them.

Anyways, we now have 2 new kittens - Olive and Whiskey. And if having 4 cats makes me a cat lady, then I guess that's what I am.

Olive (top) and Whiskey






But just a thought for you...why is it such a negative thing to have numerous cats, but yet it's ok to have multiple dogs?? You don't hear people going around whispering and gossiping about the 'dog lady' :S

2 comments:

  1. You're the cat lady and I'm the dog lady and I promise I won't whisper about your cats if you don't whisper about my dogs! p.s. you don't stink and I hope I don't either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh-hem... Maya is worse than you, K. M is actually a dog AND cat lady.

    I will whisper behind neither of your backs. I will say to your face that you are cat/dog ladies.

    So there.

    And as for me?

    I am a fish lady... minus the fish, because they're all dead. (I never said I was a good one, yeesh)

    ReplyDelete