Saturday, July 17, 2010

My very own 'unicorns'

One of my favorite things about summer are the deer. Now I know there are a lot of people out there who curse the beautiful beasts for sneaking into their gardens and eating all their flowers or veggies or even pot plants. I lots 75% of my hollyhocks to one myself this year and my poor Mother has had one destroy most of her garden. Despite this rather annoying flaw, I just love deer. To me they are like my unicorns. I cherish them and love them and want nothing more than to get close to them and pet them and love them and love them and love them!!! Silly perhaps, but to me they are amazing. Since being back on the island we've had quite an assortment of deer stroll through our yard (we have our garden fenced in, so they're more than welcome to be in the yard, just not in the garden) and I like to feed them - apples, carrots, lettuce, other treats from the veggie garden, etc. They LOVE apples. This year I have had 3 bucks, a small female, and a mother with two adorable spotted fawns (seeing the fawns is the best, especially twins!!!). Usually it is the bucks who like to come and relax at the end of a hot day.


Well tonight I almost had my dream come true. I didn't get to actually pet the handsome buck, but I called him and he walked right up to me and sniffed the apple in my hand - while I was holding it still!!! It was AWESOME!!!!


Anyways, just wanted to share some pictures of my 'unicorns' with you - Enjoy :)














1 comment: